“In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”
We have all heard the inspirational story based on the quote above, Michelangelo envisioned the image of David within the block of marble, cut away all that was not David, and behold!
I love this story, and the image it creates in my mind. It is vivid and quite powerful!
When I teach and coach people, one of the common threads I hear when asked what they would like to achieve through our work together are desires such as:
- “ Gain a strategy for prioritizing and choosing between the many goals and dreams I have”.
- “Figure out how to get more time, money, and fun in life”.
- “Too many inputs, choices of things to do, things to spend money on! I need focus to help me be more productive and satisfied”.
- “ I am easily distracted. I find myself drifting during the day and will veer off my original path and begin to engage in other activities that pop up and seem more desirable at the time. In the end they are not!”
- “I need to hone down my spending, but have a hard time figuring out what to do about it. I review the numbers, but get lost in the maze of figures, and never make a change! My debt keeps mounting!”
So, back to Michelangelo!
I feel it is just as important to recognize the marble or stone that is not David, as it is to see David within the stone.
In my experience distractions can be a more powerful force in the negative, than focus can be in the positive. All the focus in the world can not help you if you are “led off the path” by the distractions. (Aka: Squirrels!)
It is a bit circular to be sure. Creating focus, a clear, positive vision of your future is vital. Without that, you do not have a filter to allow you to “say no” to the many opportunities that come your way on a daily basis.
I often hear: “I have a hard time saying no!”.
When you are clear on what you want to do, need to do, what will bring you closer to your objectives, it becomes much easier to say NO to the things that will veer you off track. (I visualize this as the old cow pusher on the front of a locomotive.
The train is on track towards your vision. The cow-pusher is there to push aside all the distractions that would lead you astray!
(Ahhh the picture of the locomotive!)
Think about your marble cutting toolkit as you travel through your day. Keep your focus, and chip away all that is not your vision!
If you would like to explore creating some of these results for yourself, feel free to use my online schedule to set a time for us to talk.
Jerry Bergner is a financial advisor, productivity and life satisfaction coach. His company is Integrated Life and Financial Planning. Jerry has been coaching since 2008. His sweet spot is working with business owners and salespeople to assist them in focusing on the activities they enjoy and love to engage in while increasing their results and overall satisfaction at the same time. Contact Jerry to book a consultative strategy session to learn how he can help you work toward your goals.